Oceanography which is commonly called as oceanology. Oceanology is the study of all the physical and biological aspects of the ocean. It is an earth science which covers wide topics like
· Ocean currents
· Geophysical Fluid Dynamics
· Plate Tectonics
· Ecosystem Dynamics
· Geography of sea shore
· Fluxes of various chemical substances and physical properties within the ocean and across its boundaries.
The study of oceanography is divided into these four branches:
· Biological Oceanography which is also called as marine biology
· Chemical oceanography and ocean chemistry
· Geological Oceanography or marine geology
Marine biology deals with the ecology of marine organisms including the physical, chemical and geological characteristics of their ocean environment and the biology of individual marine organisms.
Chemical oceanography is the study of ocean chemistry i.e the behavior of the chemical elements within the Earths oceans.
Marine geology or geological oceanography is the study of the history and structure of the ocean floor.
Physical oceanography is the study of physical conditions and physical processes within the ocean, especially the motions and physical properties of ocean waters.